Monday, May 13, 2013

Custard Tart


Custard Tarts have to be one of my very favourite deserts. I have fond memories of when I was little going to a bakery with my Dad and he would always buy us Custard Tarts as a treat or he would bring them home for us. 
When I cook, I've had to be inventive and find different substitutes for sugar so everyone can enjoy my baked goods. I'm in love with Coconut Palm Sugar, it's low GI, low calorie and has a beautiful caramel taste to it unlike other sweeteners. I found that using it to make the custard filling gave it a great taste. 
I also used half buttermilk and half cream as that was all I had in the fridge, it turned out surprisingly well, it was a bit tangy but beautifully creamy. 

Ingredients
Pastry
1 cup wholemeal flour (150g)
2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
1 tablespoon custard powder
20g butter
¼ cup cold water (60ml)

Filling
  • 2 tbsps custard powder
  • 2 tbsps coconut palm sugar
  • 1 and a 1/2 cup of cream
  • 2/3 of a cup of buttermilk
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • Nutmeg (dust)
Method: 
1. Preheat oven at 160 degrees Celsius. Place flour, sugar, custard powder and margarine in large bowl of food processor; process until combined. With motor operating, add enough of the water until mixture just begins to form a ball. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll out dough until 5mm thick. Place into four deep 10cm fluted flan tins. Line each pastry case with a piece of baking paper, filled with dried beans or rice; place on oven tray.
2. Bake for 10 minutes then remove baking paper and rice/beans and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden brown.
3. Whisk custard powder, sugar and 1/2 a cup of cream together until combined.
4. Bring remaining cream & buttermilk to the boil in a saucepan. Then take off heat & add custard,sugar & cream mixture. Stir for 5 minutes on heat until thick.
5. Pour into cooled pastry case, dust with nutmeg and bake on 150 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes until firm in the middle. 

                           ~Jess~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment